Magdalena Skowronek, 2011-03-18 Warszawa Język angielski, Konkursy
Olimpiada z j. angielskiego dla klas V-VI szkoły podstawowej
OLIMPIADA JĘZYKA ANGIELSKIEGO DLA KLAS V-VI szkoły podstawowej II ETAP
READING (14 POINTS)
Przeczytaj tekst i zakreśl właściwą odpowiedź na pytania do tekstu.
What on Earth?
Scientists disagree about exactly when the Big Bang , which created the universe, happened. But we know that it was between ten and twenty billion years ago. The universe has been expanding extremely rapidly ever since, and is a million million million million miles across. We can also measure distances in space in light years, the distance travelled in one year at the speed of light. And light travels incredibly fast! The speed of light is an amazing 300,000 kilometers a second. Lightning also travels really quickly and can heat the air around it to 28,000 C. But it travels more slowly than light, up to 150,000 kilometers a second.
The Earth itself is four and a half billion years old and scientists believe that life began suddenly in the sea soon after that. Life developed extremely slowly after this quick start. It was only four hundred million years ago that organisms began to breathe oxygen and live on land. People believe that apes started to walk on two feet between three and seven million years ago. However, we can say more accurately that humans appeared on Earth two million years ago.
It’s believed that the Earth weighs an astonishing six billion trillion tons. And at 6,380 kilometres, the distance from the surface of the Earth to the centre is nearly as far as from New York to Moscow. The Earth rotates most quickly at 1,675 kilometres an hour at the Equator, more slowly at about 900 kilometres an hour in Paris and London, and doesn’t rotate at all at the exact North or South Pole.
Perhaps we ought to call our planet Water, because most of its surface is ocean. And animals and plants are largely made up of water – a tomato is 90% water, a potato 80% and a human 65%.
1.Approximately how old is the universe?
a) 13.7 billion years. b)13.7 million years.
2. Which travels faster?
a) Light. b) Lightning.
3. When did life on Earth begin?
a) Four billion years ago. b) Four million years ago.
4. Which began later?
a) Life on land. b) Life in the sea.
5. Which distance is further?
a) From New York to Moscow? b) From the surface to the centre of the Earth?
6. Where does the Earth rotate most quickly?
a) At the Equator b) At the North Pole
7. Which contains a higher percentage of water?
a) A potato. b) A human.
MULTIPLE CHOICE (22 points)
Zakreśl właściwą odpowiedź
1. I`m from London and Tom is from London too. We`re … .
A) London B) Londoners C) American D) England E) Londoner
2. Rob is … cinema.
A) at B) in C) at the D) in the E) on the
3. The … names are Brutus and Hector.
A) dogs` B) dogs`s C) dog`s D) dogs E) dog
4. … beautiful mountains in Italy.
A) There are B) There is C) It are D) It is E) This are
5. Here you can see Uncle Lee and Aunt Anna with … children, Rob and Kay.
A) our B) they C) them D) your E) their
6. ‘… a cat?’ – ‘Yes, he has.’
A) Have Ted got B) Ted have got C) Has Ted got
D) Has Ted E) Does Ted has
7. Łeba is a small town on the Baltic coast. It is famous for its … - sandy hills near the sea.
A) dunes B) beaches C) seagull D) lake E) park
8. … kick a ball fifty meters?
A) You can B) John cans C) Can you D) Cans John E) Do you can
9. Joe stands on the right and Eddy is next to … .
A) he B) him C) his D) hers E) her
10. Dill … like school.
A) - B) don`t C) doesn`t D) do E) never
11. I always run in the park … the afternoon.
A) at B) on C) by D) in E) –
12. In Poland children begin school at the beginning of … .
A) October B) February C) August D) July E) September
13. What`s the weather … in winter in Poland?
A) like B) by C) - D) usually E) often
14. … salt in the kitchen. Go and ask mum for it.
A) There is any B) There are any C) There is some D) There are some E) There aren`t
15. ‘… are you scared?’ – ‘Because it`s dark.’
A) When B) Who C) Why D) Where E) What
16. Look! The people in the van ….
A) are dance B) dancing C) dances D) dance E) are dancing
17. Mrs. Smith is Willy`s … .
A) cycling B) garden C) seat D) neighbour E) furniture
18. I`m working in the studio … .
A) often B) never C) at moment D) at the moment E) always
19. I … a pilot. I like planes very much.
A) want be B) want being C) want to be D) want to being E) be
20. I`m a photographer. I … photos for magazines.
A) make B) do C) take D) produce E) like
21. ‘… skateboard is this?’ – ‘It`s Fred`s.’
A) What B) Who C) Who`s D) Whose E) When
22. Find the opposite of “square”.
A) thick B) large C) thin D) short E) round
WRITING (20 points)
Napisz wypowiedź na wybrany temat. Wypowiedź powinna mieć przynajmniej 10 zdań. Podkreśl wybrany przez siebie temat.
1.Write abort your favourite book.
2.Have you got a pet? Write about it.
3.Write about your favourite day.
4.What is your hobby?